Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What's next?

Sometimes it's very hard to convince people they are wrong.

For some time I have been in disagreement with Husband - and, it seems, most of the world - about the use of the word 'next'.

If I want to talk about the weekend of 26/27 February I say 'next weekend'; on Friday I would call it 'this weekend'.

Husband - and the rest of the world - insist on saying 'next weekend' when, in fact, they mean the weekend after next (5/6 March). Some times. Some times they mean this weekend.

Are you with me?

According to Chambers' Dictionary, next is 'the nearest following; on the first occasion that follows'. Therefore there is no way 5/6 March can be next weekend.

I'm quite happy to acknowledge that 26/27 February can be both next and this weekend, but use of the word 'next' has to be specific otherwise it leads to confusion.

But will anyone believe me?

It's hard being the only person who's right.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one, Liz.

Dragonstar said...

Not quite the rest of the world Liz. I always require complete clarification by using the date! To much room for confusion otherwise.

Katney said...

Maybe it is the next next weekend. I'm with Dragonstar--if it matters, make sure of the date. Sometimes I will say, this coming weekend and next weekend. But that's not particularly clear either.

Leslie: said...

I agree with you, Liz.

CalumCarr said...

You're not often right, Liz, but you're wrong again! :)

If I were talking about the weekend of 26th and 27th Feb I'd say 'at the weekend'. Using 'next' here would be redundant.

If today I say 'next weekend' then I refer to the weekend after the one that comes up after 'the weekend'.

Hubbie is right.

Where Mrs Carr and I get in knots is over 'forward' and 'back' in a book.

If a book is open at page 100, eg, and I say 'go forward' I mean move towards the front of the book - pages 99 to 1 - whereas Mrs C takes it as meaning going to pages 101 on.

The equivalent happens for 'back.

Liz Hinds said...

Wise Welsh we are, aileni and dragonstar!

Yes, using the date would be sensible, katney.

Good, leslie.

Now you're talking rubbish, calum. How can 'go forward' possibly mean go back?!!

nick said...

Of course you're right, and husband is a dunderhead. March 5/6 is indeed the weekend after next.So does he think that 2013 is next year?

Ann Marie said...

Next weekend is the next one we come to from today. Why can't people see that? We wise ones must stick together.

DeeJay said...

whatever next?

MadPriest said...

In England (out of respect I never speak on behalf of the other home nations), "next weekend" is the weekend immediately following. You are (quite rightly) disagreeing with the American definition. Does your husband say "24/7?" If he does I think it is time that you seriously consider the divorce option.

CalumCarr said...

Liz,

"Now you're talking rubbish, calum."

How dare you! :)

I speak ONLY the truth!

All your other commenters are wrong too: only your hubbie and I are correct.

You need to listen to those, such as I, who know!

MadPriest said...

Imagine three wooden blocks in a straight row. The first block is red, the second block is blue, the third block is green. Which block is NEXT to the red block?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very hard. I'm afraid I'm with hubby!