Thursday, October 28, 2010

Church in a pub - where have I heard that before?

Just been listening to a fabulous version of In the Presence of The Lord - I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the Lord - by Eric Clapton and Stevie Winwood. Banksyboy posted it over on his blog.

His blog led me to In Christ Alone and also to waving or drowning? as mentioned in my last post, and to think about the secular sacred divide - or not.

I'm not a great one for Christian books - even though I'm a published author of Christian books - and much prefer a good novel, and I really enjoyed the Susan Howatch Starbridge books. After the initial series she continued to use some of the characters in books that vaguely followed on from each other but could be read individually with no loss of context or meaning. My absolute favourite is The Heartbreaker. It tells the story of the redemption of a male prostitute. It is potent evangelism by another name. (I have no idea whether that is the author's intent.)

Just using the word 'redemption' makes it sound like a Christian story but I am fairly certain this book won't be found in Christian bookstores: the language and descriptions are far too prurient. But then you probably don't get many non-Christians in Christian bookshops ... and I suddenly find myself wandering into another arena hosting the same argument when I'm not even supposed to be blogging anyway; I'm supposed to be finishing the bedroom.

But one last thought. I've been helping in the community cafe today. A few doors down is The Antelope, a once flourishing and popular Mumbles pub, now empty and up for sale. And I'm thinking to myself: now that's what the church needs to buy ...

5 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

sounds a plan!

Rose said...

I don't usually listen to Christian rock music, but Eric Clapton and Stevie Winwood may have made a convert of me--fantastic!

I love English pub names! One of my favorite authors is Martha Grimes, whose Richard Jury novels usually are titled with the name of a pub. "The Man With a Load of Mischief" is so much cooler than American names like "Rock's" :)

NitWit1 said...

If you like Christian or spiritual reading see if your library might have boooks by Max Lacado. I highly recommend--No Wonder They Call Him the Savior or Imagine a Life without Fear. He has dozens of books. Another is When GOD Whispers Your Name

Peter Banks said...

It's ok Rose, you still haven't listened to Christian rock, always best to keep it that way ;-)

And, another thing, I also have it on worthy recommendation that Max Lucado's latest 'Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make a Difference' is excellent.

Just helping, Liz!!

Liz Hinds said...

I thought so, mrs n!

There are some greta pub names, rose.

I'll have to look out for him, nitwit and banksy.