Saturday, August 07, 2010

I really hope GrandDaughter likes reading ...

as much as her mummy did.

A few weeks ago we had a phone call. It was a sales call, which normally I'd hang up on, but the magic word was mentioned: grant. Apparently the government is sponsoring an initiative to do cavity wall (we already have it) or roof insulation. I was dubious about being eligible for any sort of grant but it turns out anyone can get - while the money lasts - a 70% grant towards 10" of insulation if you don't already have it. So we're having it.

That's the good news. the bad news is that before they can put the insulation down we have to empty the attic. This is how it looked:
And this:

Husband has spent about 5 days up there so far. Unfortunately his answer to emptying the loft seems to be moving things into bedrooms for me to sort out. (No, that's not strictly true: he has taken car-loads of rubbish to the tip already.)

Our children had lots of books. Lots and lots of books. I sorted them out before I put any away in the loft, taking those I didn't think much of to the charity shop. Today I went through them again. Here is the shelf of books I'm keeping:
And here are the 2 boxes of books going to a charity shop:
I'm not going to show you - because it grieves me too much - the bagful of books, too dilapidated or tatty, for anything except the recycling bin.

But here are a couple of keeping favourites: Mortimer the raven and Casey, the utterly impossible horse.
Not forgetting Lambert, the sheepish lion. The front cover is missing but I adore Lambert so the book's staying regardless.
And here are the picture books that survived:
Ahh, see Dogger? And Mr Magnolia? Lovely books. But where are Each Peach, Pear, Plum, and Five Minutes' Peace, and Burglar Bill? Daughter, have you stolen them?

10 comments:

Anna said...

No, I have bought copies of those, but can see lots more to steal! XxX

Anna said...

CASEY THE UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE HORSE! fab. You will definitely not have such a big pile by Sept 1st.

sally in norfolk said...

wow Mr magnolia... my boys had that one too :-)

I have 3 staking boxes full of books in my shed been there 5 years now and still hoping the boys will let me get rid of them soon ( they are mainly Enid blyton books )

Liz Hinds said...

Are you sure, Anna? What have I done with them then?

Elder Son was quizzing me last night, sally, about just exactly what I was throwing away.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

My boys took everything of theirs when they left home. My ex -husband had the lego and stuff like that, so books and all at his. Lego is now with my youngest sons house. Good job, because we have more stuff in this house than ever, Not mine ... hubby is a hoarder!

We had Cavity wall insulation done under this scheme. I was a bit dubious at first but it was genuine :-)

Furtheron said...

you are a worse hoarder than me... my wife has constantly kept on top of the "stuff to go"... however there are some classics we're keeping in case there are any grandkids one day

Liz Hinds said...

Lego was top of the boys' lists, anne. 'You haven't got rid of the lego, have you?!'

There will be and you'll be glad you kept them then, furtheron!

sally in norfolk said...

I have kept lego and brio train set I am ruthless when it comes to getting rid of what i class as clutter... the boys are next on my list lol lol

Katney said...

Mortimer--I love Mortimer!!

And I see us just below.

Ashlee Rolfson said...

Your blog post about your hopes for your granddaughter is heartwarming. It's wonderful to see the love and care you have for her. I'm sure she will appreciate the thought and effort you're putting into her gifts.
does planet fitness have showers