Sunday, August 08, 2010

How do you know they're lilies?

Because Lily's wearing them. (Sorry, you have to be my age to get the reference - and it doesn't work for punctuation pedants. Like me.)

I must have used up at least 1,000,000 calories this afternoon digging up a bed of lilies that had become leaves. You would not believe how complicated and deep the root system is. At one point I thought I'd have to summon SuperHusband but, in spite - or maybe because - of falling flat on my face in the earth, I refused to be beaten by lilies.

Incidentally Husband asked if it were physically possible for me to fall flat on my face. I sometimes wonder why I married him.

4 comments:

CherryPie said...

I think that might have been a compliment ;-)

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I don't get it !!

Leslie: said...

I get it!!! LOL

I had lilies in my garden and they grow like WEEDS! So I dug and dug and dug, then had someone put down black garden stuff and rocks on top. For 2 years, I would spray the green shoots that kept coming up with a plant killer - no other plants in the area so I didn't have to worry about killing everyting! They STILL poke up once in a while! But finally I think I have the others under (more) control in the other beds.

Liz Hinds said...

Hm, maybe, cherrypie.

He meant my boobs are too big to let me fall flat on the floor, anne!

Oh no, leslie! I thought I'd have to leave the space free for a bit to keep reworking the ground but i hope it's not years!