Husband and I are off to Devon tomorrow for a few days so we took her out for a farewell meal last night. As we didn't know what restaurants would be open on a Sunday we opted for the eat-as-much-as-you-like curry buffet (at Younger Son's prompting). We went to one of our usual Indian restaurants and they had a good choice of curries to suit everyone.
I carefully chose curries that didn't look or sound too hot and everything was fine. I was merrily eating a fairly innocuous prawn curry when I came across a green bean. Now it didn't occur to me to wonder what one green bean was doing in a prawn curry. I just assumed they'd done what I do: found a solitary bean in the bottom of the fridge and thrown it in a curry. (You mean you don't do that?)
It was in my mouth for perhaps 2 seconds before the pain set in, and with it the realisation that I was chomping on a chilli. I'm afraid I forgot all sense of table etiquette and spat it out into my hand. But it was too late. the damage was done and irreversible.
Now you know me, I don't like to draw attention to myself, especially not in a crowded Indian restaurant. So I was very subtle as I rocked to and fro on my chair, eyes crossed, one hand thumping the table with the other covering my open mouth and the merest hint of a whimper escaping.
To quote the great Basil Fawlty, I think I got away with it.