Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And for today's disaster ...




The thing about trying a cake recipe that you've not used before is that you don't know how it will turn out. It's okay if it's just for you but if it's to go somewhere, like Zac's tonight, you want it to look and taste good.

I was melting the drinking chocolate and butter for the fudge topping, and I must have been distracted, because I burned the drinking chocolate.


I scraped out the unburned bits as best I could - I had to as I didn't have any more ingredients - and continued in another saucepan. I don't think it tastes burned. In fact it tastes quite nice, in a chewy sort of way. It contains pecans and coconut so it's meant to have a texture - I think.

The icing looks a bit wrinkled and I wouldn't win any prizes for presentation but it'll do.

Have you noticed how often my attempts at cooking - or anything - end in disaster? Perhaps I should rename my blog: Catalogue of Disaster. Failed novelist, failed playwright, failed cook, failed dog-trainer. Someone once said to me, 'Have you ever thought that your sole purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others?'

if I took this all seriously I could be very depressed by now. Good job I'm happy. Tra la. Happy and with chocolate cake ...

In the words of Springsteen, from his latest CD,

I'm working on a dream

Though sometimes it feels so far away

I'm working on a dream

And know it will be mine someday

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks fine.. if in doubt keep adding more chocolate...
In my teens I made my Dad a chocolate cake and burnt the chocolate... he really liked the nutty texture and I never told him!!

Unknown said...

"Disaster" can be another term for "creative."

I want a piece of cake!

Mauigirl said...

Not a failure! It looks delicious!

sally in norfolk said...

it looks just fine to me... :-)

Leslie: said...

Oh my gosh, I'm trying to reach through my computer screen to get at that cake! YUMMY!

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments!

I have to say it turned out to be really nice cake. I'm not that keen on chocolate cake as such but this had less of a chocolatey flavour and a more interesting and tasty texture. It quickly disappeared at Zac's too!

Anonymous said...

hi liz love the blog and the cake was to die for yummmmmy, your a real star, di

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, Di!