Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Reasons why I should be considered for sainthood

1) Jenny, who comes to Zac's, likes to sit on the old church pew at the back of the room because she has a bad back and it helps.She also likes me to sit with her. The pew is hard and uncomfortable.

2) The man sitting next to Jenny kept sneezing and coughing.

3) The man sitting next to me smelled. Seriously badly.

Does the pope need any more reasons than that?

* * * * * * * * *

Other than that ...

Zac's was really good last night. Thought-provoking and encouraging. We've reached the second half of the last but one verse of the first letter to the Corinthians, where Paul talks about resurrection, and it lead to all sorts of fascinating questions and viewpoints on who would be resurrected, who would be judged, who will be in heaven.

Basically, we don't know.

Which is fine by me. I think we'll be surprised when we see some people in heaven and there'll be some people missing too. But Christ told us we had to become like children. I see that as having lots of questions but trusting. I can do that.

And being a Christian isn't simply an insurance policy for what comes after; it's about fullness of life now.

But I do hope there are hot showers and plenty of soap in heaven.
xx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the wrong person to comment on anything to do with religion.... My mum was very religious..my Dad was'nt and he brought me up on a mixture of Darwin and Eric Von Danikin (sp). Everyone has the right to believe in what they want so if you believe that their are showers and soap there will be ;0)

Saint Liz!!!!! :0)

Katney said...

and golden retrievers

James Higham said...

St Liz - has a nice ring to it.

Liz Hinds said...

Actually, amanda, I suppose there won't be any nasty smells in heaven to necessitate soap and showers.

Goes without saying, katney.

I think I'll start signing letters like that, james. Get myself into the habit ready for the poope's proclamation.

Furtheron said...

Liz you are already a saint to those that you help you don't need some geezer in Rome to mutter something.

And I aagree on the who will be judged thing... although I don't myself believe at all in any after life, we come, we do, we go - end of. However I do believe that if in the "we do" bit we do good rather than we do bad that is for the better of all of us.