Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Can you see the wind?

Sean has been doing Zac's Place for I don't know how many years now. Certainly long enough to know better than to ask a slightly-the-worse-for-wear new-comer who was querying how you can believe in someone you can't see, 'Can you see the wind?'

I'll leave his answer - and the ensuing conversation - to your imagination.

Jerry, our regular drunk, has had his moments of being disruptive but he took offence at someone else 'wearing his crown' and for a few minutes chaos threatened but then new-comer decided to go out for a smoke. Jerry followed ... and Steve went to keep the peace.

There were a few first-timers there last night and one of them knew Jerry of old. He said, 'He was a pain in the arse in school too.'

But you can't help loving him.

* * * * * * * * *

At the end of the evening there was a phone call from Glenn who went back to Australia last summer. I grabbed the phone so I could say hello. Or rather, as I realised afterwards, I shouted hello. I had to: he's a long way away.

I have a tendency to shout into mobile phones anyway as ... well, there isn't a wire.

1 comment:

Furtheron said...

I have come across people who are atheists, some like to goad religious people into arguments regarding the existence of God. I’ve said to them “God exists by faith alone, if someone believes in it then that is enough”. “Rubbish!” they retort, “don’t these idiots know it is up to them to prove that this airy fairy stuff exists”. I counter saying they should prove it doesn’t exist, often the reply is that there is no reasonable evidence to support that it does and therefore the scientific position has to be that there is no God. “Now prove otherwise”. “I don’t have to” I say.. “God exists by faith alone. If you could conclusively prove my vision of God didn’t exist you know what? I’d change my definition and believe in that no doubt”.