Sunday, January 25, 2009

When a win isn't enough

So the Ospreys beat Leicester 15 - 9 but had to wait until this afternoon to see how other teams did before they knew they'd got a place in the quarter-finals of the European (Heineken) Cup as one of the top runners-up.

It was a dowdy game. That's the word that sprang to mind thinking about it. Leicester took to the field with the sole ambition of losing by not too many points, and took every opportunity to slow down or break the flow of the play. It was a bruising game, no doubt, but the little men in track-suits ran on to the field every time play stopped for a second. All the points came from penalties and neither side came really close to try-scoring.

It's really frustrating: the Ospreys make up most of the Welsh team - the team that won the Grand Slam last year - and yet they've never seemed to reach their potential as a regional side. On paper they should be amongst the top; in reality as we saw this weekend, they're in to the top 8 because of what others have or haven't done.

Now, serious matters, anyone got a spare ticket or two to the Wales v England game on 14th February?
xx

6 comments:

Puss-in-Boots said...

Oh, sorry your Ospreys lost, Liz. We're in the midst of the Australian Open (Tennis) here and football seems months away yet. It's not though, they're already having pre-season trials. Hope you score some tickets for the big match.

Lindsay said...

The weekend Heineken rugby was dire due to the weather. I am sad Gloucester and Wasps are out. Strange game yesterday at Bath!

Furtheron said...

Did you see the Bath game - that was hard wasn't it. I remember now one of the reasons I stopped playing rugby - matches in weather like that! :-)

Devonshire Dumpling said...

I love rugby! I am probably one of the very few women to wear a French rugby shirt and visit a pub in Plymouth (which was filled with English supporters all wearing their English shirts) - and I lived!

Rose said...

I know nothing about rugby, Liz, so I can't comment other than to offer some sympathy. I've discovered that whatever team I root for will never be a champion. They should ban me from wearing the team colors:)

Liz Hinds said...

Not much chance of that, puss.

Was it raining, Lindsay?

I didn't see the game, furtheron, but true enthusiasts don't notice the rain!

WEll done, DD!

I'm usually like that, rose - the touch of death.