Thursday, August 21, 2008

Responding to comments

Stu asked why I was scrupulously ignoring the Wales 1 Georgia 2 football result last night. The answer's simple: I knew nothing about it.

I'm not really a football person. An international match can take place in my city and I am blissfully unaware. But since Stu's mentioned it, I can see it was obviously a gesture of solidarity from one small nation bullied by a larger neighbour to another. And nothing to do with the fact that Wales can't play football.

I'm also unaware of most of what goes on either in the world or my locality.

Driving to church the other day I thought, 'Good heavens, the end's fallen off the pier!' Staring a bit harder - not easy looking out to sea when driving - I could see it wasn't the end of the pier but what looks like a drilling rig. 'Good heavens, nobody told me they were drilling for oil in Swansea Bay.'

I've since been told it might be to do with repairs to the lifeboat station in readiness for a new lifeboat. 'Good heavens, nobody told me we were having a new lifeboat!'

* * * * * * * * *

After reading about Badger, Rose asked if I'd given George an extra hug. Well, Rose, I kissed him so much and hugged him so tightly he said, 'All right, all right, I get the message. Can I go eat my way out of the garden now?'

Five minutes later
Just been to retrieve my retriever from the road behind out house. I'm sure anyone reading this must think we are very neglectful owners but believe me when I say every time we think the garden is impregnable, George finds - or makes - another way out. Electric fencing is the only answer.

No comments: