Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One of us is an antique

Back at the end of March Husband sanded and varnished the hall floor. After he'd done it I said, 'Right, I'm going to buy a floor polisher.'
'You don't have to do that: we have our old one in the attic.'

Yesterday, five months later, he went up in the attic and found it for me. Now I should point out that it came with the house and this has been our home for about 20 years now. But, oh, joy, it works.

It's a Hoover and I don't know if you can read what it says on the little plate:
By appointment to the late King George VI
Manufacturers of Electric Suction Sweepers

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, how suite, another old sucker ;-)

CherryPie said...

Crikey I wonder when that was made?

Suburbia said...

Are you sure it's safe? Are you sure you are safe with it?!!

Anna said...

Don't think we haven't noticed that the Christmas holly is still painted on the hall walls...

Puss-in-Boots said...

Ummm, I'd like to see it working without anyone getting electrocuted. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

May I suggest Swansea Musem or St. Fagans.
Or even eBay - might be valuable.

Dragonstar said...

Whether or not it works, it doesn't look safe to me! I think Aileni's right - it belongs in a museum!.

Liz Hinds said...

Indeed, stu.

I can't imagine, cherrypie.

I think it is safe, suburbia; whther I am safe with it is doubtful, especially in george's mind.

Anna, tell your father!

robyn, it does work - slowly - and I haven't been electrocuted.

aileni, now st fagan's is a good idea!

it might do, dragonstar, but try telling Husband that!

Rose said...

Are you sure your husband isn't somehow related to mine?:)

The suggestion about selling it on E-bay is a good one...maybe it's a true antique, and you can get enough for it to buy a new polisher!

Leslie: said...

Wow! I remember my mother polishing the floor with a machine almost like that one. Thanks goodness, we don't need to do that by hand anymore!

Gattina said...

Wow you are VERY POSH ! polishing with an antique !!

jams o donnell said...

Glad to see it still works well. And it saved you some money. Result!