Wednesday, August 13, 2008

George and the mud

The vet prescribed a long course of antibiotics - one and a half pills twice daily for three weeks - for George. She also gave me cream to apply and said he mustn't go swimming.

Two problems:
a) I can't break the pills in half. I phoned to ask if I could give him one and two instead. The receptionist said I should get a pill-cutter.
'A pill-cutter? Is there such a thing?'

b) We live in Wales. Even when we're not in the middle of the wettest August since the universe began it's hard to walk a dog anywhere there isn't a dirty puddle of some sort. Our walkies now happen to the accompaniment of a constant barrage of screaming from me, 'No, George! NO, George! GEORGE, NOOOOO!!!!'
xx

8 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, poor George and poor you! Hugs for both of you from Simi and me xx

Leslie: said...

Yes, there is a pill cutter and if I lived there, I'd run over and give it to you! Ask at the pharmacy. And I guess you're going to have to stick to the paved areas now. Poor George! :(

Lindsay said...

Yes - the vets have pill cutters - they are brilliant - we have one which we use for human pills. I think though they are ridiculoulsy expensive, something like £7.00. I once asked the human chemists if they had a pill cutter - they had not heard of them!

Liz Hinds said...

The girl in the vets said they could order one for me. Then a few minutes later she phoned back and said, 'You can get them a lot cheaper at the chemist!'

I've only tried one chemist so far and they were out of stock.

jams o donnell said...

Aww poor little fellow. There is never a dull moment with George is there?

Dragonstar said...

You'll have to walk sedately through the middle of town. No? Well, I must admit my imagination is working overtime - possible videos are running (and screaming!) through my head. Poor both of you.

CherryPie said...

A pill cutter?!!!

jmb said...

We had a dozen pill splitters at work in the hospital pharmacy. I guess you have one by now. Funnily enough most tablets are grooved nowadays and they are easy to break across the groove unless they are very small.