Monday, July 21, 2008

Bye bye bees

Tom, the beekeeper, sounded just like a beekeeper should, so I was happy when he said they'd be round in half an hour. I thought they'd be impressed by my swarm but Tom's friend, whose name I didn't discover, shrugged, 'Oh, it's only a small one.'
I asked what would happen to the bees. Tom said they'd be integrated with an existing hive.
'So they're going to a good home?' I asked.
'Oh, yes, don't worry.'

Tom gave me a memento to keep. It is truly phenomenal the way bees can make these perfect hexagonals.


6 comments:

Dragonstar said...

Great pictures Liz! I'm so glad the bees will be safe. Great to have some beeswax hexagons as a memento. And you have the photos, too. What an experience.

Saz said...

this is a fascinating post...thanks

sara x

Liz Hinds said...

The beeswax is just incredible!

Thanks, both.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Phenomenal, indeed. But I wouldn't want them too near me! èI'm such a townie.]

Furtheron said...

Amazing. We have a huge ant nest in the old compost bin, since the council started collecting compostable stuff I've rarely opened it. Sunday I looked in and the ant nest is massive like one in the woods. You can see where they have eaten all the material that was in there from last year. Mrs F wouldn't let me kill them since it was so impressive, we've decided to "feed them" odd prunings etc. and as long as they stay there we'll not disturb them

CherryPie said...

I am glad they are all sorted. I do remember once a bee hive in the eaves of a flat I lived in... they kept getting in through the cracks somehow and they were BIG bees!