Saturday, May 03, 2008

Happy Birthday, Spam

It was thirty years ago today that the first spam was sent.

Gary Thuerk, an employee of a now-defunct computer company, invited 400 people, living on the west coast of America, to a presentation about new addictions to the company's range.

However, it wasn't until April, 1994, when two immigration lawyers, Canter and Siegel, sent a commercial spam message to more than 6,000 discussion groups, that the floodgates were opened.

Today 80%-85% of all e-mail is spam and more than 100 billion spam messages are sent every day.

P.S. It was 1993 when unsolicited commercial e-mail was given the name of spam by Joel Furr, who allegedly got the name from the famous Monty Python sketch.

5 comments:

MissKris said...

I've been very fortunate...knock wood!...not to get much spam in my email accounts. I have one email account for personal mail only and I've always been VERY careful about who I give that one to. My 'public' account gets a little bit here and there. I think one thing I've done that's helped keep it so low is if I buy something online or visit a more 'commercial' site, I always scroll to the bottom of the page to see if any boxes are automatically checked saying I want ads or newsletters or whatever sent to my email. You'd be AMAZED at how many sites have those boxes. I go along and un-check them all, and it's saved me a lot of grief in the long run. As to junk mail, one of our local TV news programs had a segment on how to cut back on that as well and I went to the site and got registered on it. Within a few weeks, our junk mail was cut back to almost nothing. I HATE unsolicited ads/salesmen/telemarketers...well, maybe 'hate' is too strong a word...but I don't like being bothered by phone, snail mail, or email.

Gattina said...

Did you lit a candle to celebrate, lol ? So far I find Spams rather amusing and delete them. Stupidity makes me laugh !

Siani said...

I used to get a lot of spam, before I wised up and stopped giving out my email address on various websites. I use this service if a website I'm unfamiliar with demands my email address just to access information. I've also set up an email account with my ISP specifically for online sign-ups. The instant spam starts to arrive, I delete that account and create a new one.

jams o donnell said...

Hmm I don;t know abut celebrating spam's birthday but I will raise a glass at the wake!

LAN said...

puma mens shoes
puma shoes
puma speed
nike shoes
nike air
nike air shoes
nike air max 90
nike air max 95
nike air max tn
nike air rift
nike shox r4
nike air max 360
nike shox nz
puma cat
air max trainers
mens nike air max
sports shoes
nike air rifts
nike air rift trainer
nike air
nike shoes air max
nike shoes shox
air shoes
Lucyliu IS Lucyliu
nike shoe cart
puma future
cheap puma
nike rift
jeans shop
diesel jeans
levis jeans
nike rift shoes
cheap nike air rifts
bape shoes