Monday, March 24, 2008

No 1 Ladies'

Sunday morning I woke at about 6.10 and thought, 'Oh, bother, I've missed it,' and went back to sleep. But a very happy and belated Easter to everyone anyway.
Well, did you watch The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency last night? Oh, it was lovely. The lady playing Precious Ramotswe was a little younger than I'd imagined and her secretary a little more abrasive but all in all it made for a very pretty evening's viewing. Perfect Sunday night television.


When I first started reading the books it took me a little while to get into them but soon I was loving them. They do get a bit sameish by about the seventh one - the one something to do with purple shoes - but up until then, they're well worth reading. They have such lovely characters and gentle manners. Almost Barbara Pym in Botswana. No, not as acerbic as Ms Pym can be. But slow-moving, easy-flowing narratives.

2 comments:

CherryPie said...

I didn't realise this was on TV until about half an hour ago when Mum told me Dad had stopped up to watch it and it had made him tired after his op! I have only read the first few books and loved them, nice and gentle!

Good thing sleeping in and enjoying Easter :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, wish I could have seen that1