Saturday, May 26, 2007

Writers' Friend

People's Friend magazine is also the writers' friend: they reply very quickly to submissions.

I posted a story to them on Tuesday; as I drove home from work this afternoon I decided that their reply would probably be waiting for me at home. And it was. 'Thank you but no.'

But at least there was a bit of an explanation why not, and that's more than I usually get, so it was almost as good as an acceptance. (I am telling myself.) It means I can work some more on it to improve it and submit it again or elsewhere.

Also this afternoon I received an email saying I hadn't won the short story contest I entered on Monday. I'd already decided it was a bit gloomy. I do gloom, depression, madness and death well; unfortunately that is not the stuff of popular magazine fiction. It's strange because I am a cheery person. Which is just as well otherwise I would be suicidal by now.
xxx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is just a silly, well intended thought.

Why not try how to sell what you write?

You have done the research and you write so well, or are suggestions out of line?

Lee said...

Don't become despondent, Liz...it will all fall into place for you when you least expect it. So be prepared for a happy surprise. :) Just don't stop knocking on those doors. The right door is there, you've just not knocked on it yet.

Liz Hinds said...

Jack, I would be grateful for any suggestions! It's not silly at all. And thank you.

Lee, I keepa knocking but I can't get in ... but I will! One day.

Anonymous said...

From what I've read and heard from several writers I know personally, there will be a hundred rejections for every acceptance. It takes a lot of patience and perseverance. You know you're still OK until the day you get a rejection that explains that it is because your writing sucks. If that ever happens, time to redefine priorities. But it won't. You write beautifully...

MaryB said...

Oh, Liz, I do admire your tenacity. My writing's gone to hell since I moved to New York (and thought it would just blossom here). Still, I have a bank of stories that I keep refining, but I never submit them. I need to get off my very large ass and do something about it, eh?

And I can identify about being able to write well about doom and gloom, even though I'm a cheerful person, as well. There's this one really disturbing story about . . . Oh, forget it!

Obviously, the trick is to keep submitting.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ah, Liz, I feel for you. But you have a positive attitude and you keep trying. As I've said before, an editor will see sense one day!

Mauigirl said...

Liz, sorry to hear about the rejection but you're right, it's a good sign the told you what could be improved. They won't bother to do that for something the don't think has promise.

Liz Hinds said...

Winston, Mary, Welshcakes and Maui, thank you.