Monday, February 05, 2007

Wales 9 Ireland 19

It was exciting. All the commentators (except bigmouth Austin Healey) agreed it lived up to its billing as the test match of the championships.

Wales were great. In spite of Ireland scoring within the first forty-five seconds of the game - yes, 45 seconds, Wales didn't give up. Right to the end it was a battle, and a - no, not battleground - that would be to suggest it had been violent - very physical, fast-played game. We just didn't score any tries.

Ireland scored three. And, to be honest, they always looked more like scoring. Each time they had the ball, they looked more threatening, but, at least in the first half, they didn't have the ball very much.

A good game. A sad result. Not bad, just sad.

There, I've been magnanimous; now I can be bitchy.

I wouldn't want to be in a team that has Brian O'Driscoll as captain. Quite apart from his strict personal training regime, he shouts at players who drop a ball in training. He doesn't have the sort of face that looks like it laughs much.


And who, if their surname is Healey, calls their son Austin?

On a slightly different front, my fantasy rugby team isn't doing awfully well. (Fantasy rugby involves picking a team, from whatever countries you like, who then get points depending on if their team wins, if they score, if they get sent off etc. It's done on the net and there's a national league as well as mini-leagues.)

Our mini-league is made up of family and friends. I am currently bottom.


I am doing better in the national league; I am in position 19, 932. And I know that's not bottom because yesterday I was at 21,274.

P.S. Jonny Wilkinson was rather lovely yesterday, even though I think the video ref got it wrong and he didn't score a try.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Parents who do that to their kids need to be sentenced to a year's jail with only bread and water! I feel sorry for the children who get names like that.

I'm watching the American football at the moment...the Super Bowl...Prince performed at half time and he was brilliant! Well, in my humble opinion, he's always been brilliant. He was terrific!

Puss-in-Boots said...

Commiserations, Liz. Does that mean Wales is out of the competition, or are there still other games at that first level?

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, Lee, you wonder if Austin Healey had to become big-mouthed to cope with his name!

No, Puss, it's not a knockout; it's a league I suppose. All the nations play each other. Wales play Scotland in Edinburgh next week.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry Wales lost, Liz. I love your switch from magnanimity to bitchiness in the post!