Monday, January 08, 2007

We might paint the bedroom after all

We couldn't find any paper to agree on.

But I brought several samples home with me including this one.

I wouldn't want it on my bedroom wall but I wanted to work out what it said.
Scattered over various bits of the design I found words spoken by Cicero when he was giving an oration against the corrupt Roman senator Cataline: “Quousque, tandem, abutere, Catalina, patientia nostra?” Cicero is wondering how much longer Cataline will abuse our (the senate/people's) patience.
Now the question is: did the designer of the wallpaper know what it meant?

Did he/she choose it because artistically it has shape and definition? Or is it a subversive comment on the political situation in Britain today?

I like to think it's the latter.

6 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Good question, Liz! I wouldn't mind that paper in a bathroom!

MaryB said...

Hilarious! Can we 'merkins borrow a roll or two to paper the White House and Congress?

Liz Hinds said...

Certainly Mary!

Anonymous said...

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes! ;-)

Liz Hinds said...

If this sign to read you can, work good in matters Latin fast and fruitful get you can.

If you can read this sign, you can get a job in the fast paced, high-paying world of Latin! (From internet)

Anonymous said...

Interesting paper.