Thursday, January 04, 2007

This morning

It's quarter past eight in the cold morning. I am outside the front door in my dressing-gown. I am crouching down, tapping the floor, trying to persuade Harvey that he can get out, that it's not too huge a step for him.

He hasn't been out for a wee since yesterday lunchtime. He might have a bladder the size of Lake Windermere but he MUST need to go now.

In the end I lift his front paws down. I am reluctant to do this as he tends to panic and his back end collapses with all sorts of results. This time though we are successful.

He comes in through the back door. Encouraged by his walk round the garden he manages to get up the step - carefully avoiding the ramp - with only a little hesitation and much cheering-on.

He is standing by me as I write this, grumbling if I stop scratching him for the seconds I need two hands to hold down two keys to do a capital letter. He wants his breakfast. Time to go.

2 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi again. Dear Harvey. I expect the cold outside makes him hesitate, too. Simi does that as well when I'm typing! Harvey is lucky to have such a gentle and caring mum. I'm sure he knows that. Love to you both from both of us.

Serena said...

Yay, Harvey. I'm sure you told him how noble and brave he was. My dog will hold her bladder, too, if it's raining or something and she's determined not to go out. I don't know how they do it.