Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Blogpower

I have, on the side of my blog, a Blogpower logo and list of blogs. I signed up for this just before Christmas but I have realised I am dreadfully out of place there.

Blogpower has lots and lots of very intelligent people commenting on politics, the media, the news and PR; I comment on cars breaking down, dogs poohing, chocolate over-indulgence and rugby-players's thighs.

Perhaps I should start my own blogroll for people with similar interests.

Browsing through them a little while ago, I did notice that I had been tagged on Shades of Grey with the '5 things about me' meme. He picked my blog at random, you understand, not because of my outstanding intellect, but I still got very excited.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

There was an article in last Friday's Independent about Andrea Camilleri and his creation, Salvo Montalbano. Now, you see, I wouldn't have read the article if it hadn't been titled 'Once upon a time in Sicily', and I hadn't been learning about Sicily through Welshcakes's blog. I will say it again: blogging is good for your education.

The books about the 'food-mad sleuth' sound good. Has anyone read or can anyone recommend them?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another Tourism-by-proxy blog request Liz. If I remember correctly, you have a huge viaduct in Swansea.

By Brunel!!!

So howsabouta coupla photos, say one from down by the river and one from up on the banks?

Liz Hinds said...

You see I didn't know that! I've just been reading about it. Apparently only four arched stone pillars remain of the original viaduct. I shall investigate!

That's strange: I've had this word verification before.

Anonymous said...

Are we talking about the same thing then? Brunel would have used steel, not stone.

And rhomboidal truss sections.

(Thankyou for your truss....
I shall always wear it ;-)

Puss-in-Boots said...

Well Liz, I don't write intellectual blogs, either. I would be a total fraud if I tried and would be found out immediately, so I reckon I'll just stay with my mundane life and let others have the brains, lol!

Liz Hinds said...

Stu, from a book by local historian, "The Landore Viaduct was originally a 1.760ft (563 metres) long timber structure designed by the great Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859). It was reputedly made from Canadian Pitch Pine and cost £20,000 to build.
Surviving 19th engravings show a dramatic viaduct that used many different structural systems incorporated in one complex elongated design. The only surviving elements of Brunel's original design still to be seen are four arched stone piers alongside the Neath Road. The other piers and main central span date from 1888-89 and bear the inscription "Edward D. Finch & Co. Steel Builders, Chepstow 1889". These are made from wrought-iron."

Puss, I agree that we have to be who we are. As long as we're happy!

And I would be a lot happier if blogger would remember my username and I didn't have to keep typing it in!!

Anonymous said...

Ah so. So it's no longer there? Well, forget the request then :-)

When I was in Bristol last year we toured the SS Great Britain (a Brunel slaving-ship) and I saw a list of bridges etc Brunel had designed, thet's where I saw the Swansea reference.

Ta, anyway.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Mine isn't a political blog either, as you know.
The Camillieri books are popular here and they are good, though I'm not a fan of detective fiction in general. I did know the books were now out in English but not that there had been a write-up in the Indy. Thanks. There is a TV series of Montalbano's adventures, too and a lot of it was filmed around here.

Liz Hinds said...

Welshcakes, then I shall put him on my to-read list - for when I can see over the pile of books next to the bed. I enjoy some detective fiction.

No problem, Stu. As I say, at least I am learning things.

James Higham said...

Liz, you and the Welshcakes and Tea and Margaritas and Morags and so on are exactly wht Blogpower is about. The boys' political raves which have dominated will cease after the weekend poll but the thing is, all this has happened exactly whilst I've been sick and haven't been able to write to you until today. Again, your blog is a key blog in my and other's reading and we'd never have found it otherwise. Give me until the weekend, when I'll be recovered.

Liz Hinds said...

Aw, thank you, James, that is good to know.

Aren't bloggers lovely?