Saturday, December 30, 2006

Like an egg without salt

Come February, Daughter will have been married four years (give or take a year - I'm never sure).

I made their wedding cake (but left the icing to a professional) and, as is traditional, kept one of the layers to use for the first christening. As the chance of that day coming anytime in the near future is as likely as England winning the 2007 rugby world cup, I decided it was time to make some space in the freezer and turn it into a Christmas cake.

Unfortunately, time being as elusive as it is, it's now going to be a New Year cake. I've removed the old icing and marzipan and replaced it with fresh marzipan and will do the icing tomorrow. And as Husband is the only person who likes Christmas/wedding cake, it will last long enough to double up as an Easter Cake too.

By the way, when I say, 'do the icing', I mean roll out the shop-bought fondant icing and lay it over the cake. I might see if I can find 2007 in candles - or something equally artistic and understated!

* * * * * * * * * *

Seeing Elsie's post, with the photo of her husband wearing the beard he grew at her request, reminded me that Husband has forgotten his intention/threat (depending on where you stand) to shave off his moustache over the Christmas holiday.

In the 32 years I've known him he's only once been without facial hair. That was over a Christmas and I said then, and I reminded him this time, that if he did it again I would divorce him.

There's an old Spanish proverb that says that kissing a man without a moustache is like eating an egg without salt. Guy de Maupassant describes it thus in The Mustache.

... he has shaved off his mustache. You cannot imagine, my dear Lucy, how it changes him! I no longer recognize him-by day or at night. If he did not let it grow again I think I should no longer love him; he looks so horrid like this.
In fact, a man without a mustache is no longer a man. I do not care much for a beard; it almost always makes a man look untidy. But a mustache, oh, a mustache is indispensable to a manly face. No, you would never believe how these little hair bristles on the upper lip are a relief to the eye and good in other ways. I have thought over the matter a great deal but hardly dare to write my thoughts. Words look so different on paper and the subject is so difficult, so delicate, so dangerous that it requires infinite skill to tackle it.
Well, when my husband appeared, shaven, I understood at once that I never could fall in love with a strolling actor nor a preacher, even if it were Father Didon, the most charming of all! Later when I was alone with him (my husband) it was worse still. Oh, my dear Lucy, never let yourself be kissed by a man without a mustache; their kisses have no flavor, none whatever! They no longer have the charm, the mellowness and the snap- yes, the snap--of a real kiss. The mustache is the spice.
Imagine placing to your lips a piece of dry--or moist--parchment. That is the kiss of the man without a mustache. It is not worth while.
Whence comes this charm of the mustache, will you tell me? Do I know myself? It tickles your face, you feel it approaching your mouth and it sends a little shiver through you down to the tips of your toes.
And on your neck! Have you ever felt a mustache on your neck? It intoxicates you, makes you feel creepy, goes to the tips of your fingers. You wriggle, shake your shoulders, toss back your head. You wish to get away and at the same time to remain there; it is delightful, but irritating. But how good it is!
A lip without a mustache is like a body without clothing; and one must wear clothes, very few, if you like, but still some clothing.


There's no need for me to say anything else.

1 comment:

Elsie said...

It's definitely the neck thing, Liz! But I must confess that the beard does it for me far more than a moustache, though they're both pretty great.