Thursday, December 08, 2022

Christmas days

I hadn't read any Jeanette Winterson before so wasn't sure how I'd get on with this collection of twelve of her Christmas stories. I loved it.

I loved the tales, all slightly fantastical, some ghostly, all wonderful. I loved the recipes, anecdotes and advice for life. Funny, sad, poignant, evocative. In short I adored it all.

One of my very favourites was set in an old style orphanage where the orphans were kept in fireless rooms, fed bread and gruel, and locked in the coal shed if they misbehaved. The tables are turned on the evil matron eventually with the help of a gang of silver frogs.

Highly recommended. 5*
 

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

This book sounds (and this is not usually a word I used re Jeanette Winterson's books) charming.

Boud said...

I love Winterson's writing, and this sounds like a departure for her. Which reminds me of a book of her essays I have on my tbr stack.

Liz Hinds said...

As I said I'd not read any of hers and came to it with trepidation but, really, it's wonderful.