Monday, May 23, 2022

This is your last chance

You can't say we didn't warn it.

For the last several years we've been saying, "Okay, produce fruit this year or next year you're going."

It has resolutely ignored us producing a single plum at the most. And always in an unreachable place where the only ones to benefit were the birds. So the plum tree has gone. At least most of it has. 

I had originally planned to replace it with a lilac bush but a) the best thing about lilacs is the scent and my sense of smell is disappearing along with my hearing; and b) now I've seen the space I have a hankering for a statue.

Or an arbour for sitting and pondering. Sadly though I fear not much sitting or pondering would be done so it's back to a statue. But what sort?

A fierce dragon? A courageous sword-wielding maiden? A  more classic naked man with jug of water? I shall have to browse. 

Or maybe a rose-covered arch? Or a bench plus statue/arch? Decisions, decisions.

* * * * 
I caught a snippet on the news while I was marinading my lamb for curry along the lines of, "Downing Street has admitted that it was them that requested a private meeting between Johnson and Sue Gray (the woman charged with producing a report on the alleged breaking of lockdown rules by those in government."

Initially it was claimed that Sue Gray requested the meeting, a claim she denied. Let me see, an independent investigator or Boris Johnson's government? Who to trust? It's so hard to decide.*

Along with others in this country I was amazed that Trump never got thrown out of office, that the scandals and stories never brought about his downfall. Now I see the same happening here. And this is why I don't commentate on politics very often. It's just too depressing.

*Not

5 comments:

Boud said...

He did get thrown out, at the first possible moment. Now we're fighting to keep him out while a good President is doing excellent work. Why can't the parliamentary system force out yours? I know the system, grew up there, but this total corruption is new. There has to be a workaround.

Liz Hinds said...

You would think so, Boud. Everyone keeps saying it but he's still there.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Blogger ate my comment! Or is it in your spam file perhaps?

PipeTobacco said...

Politics is damn depressing, I agree. I wrote about more horrendous politicizing of the former valuable and laudable CDC today. It disheartens me greatly.

I like the idea of a statue too! Do you have a particular type you would like? I too like lilacs, but their flower beauty and scent is so very temporal that most of the year it is just greenery or branches, so a statue seems to me “more fun”. For me, if I had a space open up like that in my yard/garden, I think I would especially like a statue of St. Francis of Assisi…. with animals around him.

Cop Car said...

Ah, but the greenery or branches provide haven for wildlife, or don't birds nest in lilacs in the UK?

Plum trees are ornamental, but obtaining worm-free produce from them is a challenge.