Saturday, January 15, 2022

Almost all about books

Jews Don't Count by David Baddiel

I'd read a lot of comments about this book so decided to borrow it from the library. It's more of a long essay than a book and is in a series published by The Times Literary supplement. 

David Baddiel is a comedian, albeit a very intellectual one; the fact that he is a Jew hadn't registered with me. Anyway, the book explains his theory that Jews don't count i.e. that in the racism field, anti-Semitism is not really as bad as the other prejudices. It's an interesting premise especially as his complaints are aimed mainly at progressives - the ones who would normally fight every sort of -ism.

It made me think, agree that I am as guilty, but still not totally convinced by his arguments, some of which seem a bit weak - although I'm not sure if I dare say that about someone whose intellect could swallow mine and not even notice the gulp. I'm sure he could out-argue me and explain why I'm wrong. 

But worth reading if only to discover that Stephen Fry is a Jew. 


Shuggie Bain
by Douglas Stuart

This one of the other books I ordered from the library. The 2020 Booker Prize winner is undoubtedly brilliantly written, and all the other things that are said about it, but it's too bleak to read at bedtime. I read a few chapters the first night but that's it. No more for me.




The Adventures of Little Mouse
by Granny

Yes, I finished the book I was writing for GrandSon4, it's illustrated (by me and GrandDaughter2), and it's available on Amazon. I've published it simply so Younger Son can buy it on Amazon Italy to avoid taxes if I sent it to him. What measures we have to resort to thanks to Brexit.



Speaking of which, are you following the antics of the man who claims to be the leader of this country? Currently, apparently, he's launched Operation Save Big Dog - the name he came up with himself - and he's looking for volunteers to take the blame for, probably everything.

He could yet get away with it. 

The BBC interviewed people in Leeds just after their Prime Minister had admitted being at an illegal gathering during lockdown - when people were unable to be with their dying loved ones. 

One woman tells us an apology from the prime minister should be enough. "For all he does I still like Boris," she says.

A man at a market stall says he would vote for Johnson in the next general election. "At the end of the day I think the man's done a good job."

I could cry.

7 comments:

pam nash said...

I think there must be a school somewhere in the universe with classes on "how to be a selfish, idiot, thoughtless, stupid politician. There's a bunch here that graduated from said uni with honors. Guess there also.

Boud said...

Hard to believe anyone on earth thinks Boris has done a good job. Ten to one they're seeing those dang foreigners leaving and thinking that's a good thing.

Liz Hinds said...

WE seem to have had our share of the graduates lately, Pam.

I know, it's unbelievable, Boud, and you're probably right. A horrid nationalistic fervour was given leave to flourish.

Polly said...

Pam, it's called Eton. Boris has done a lot to be ashamed of, but we will never know if anyone else could have done better given the same circumstances. He did get the vaccination programme started quickly.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, Boris Johnson's Covid partying antics are all over the news here. What an idiot. Your Mouse book looks delightful!

Boud said...

I think the point of Jews don't Count is that leftists tend to dismiss anti semitism as less important than other forms of prejudice. They don't even recognize it when they commit it. But it's as corrosive as all other prejudice. He's not saying it matters less, he's saying it's dismissed more.

Liz Hinds said...

I think w will have to agree to disagree on Johnson, Polly!

Thank you, Debra.

Yes, you're right, Boud. And, as I said, I am as guilty as anyone.