Sunday, January 24, 2021

I must stop having good ideas

The new tenant now wants us to move the other sofa from the apartment. (See previous post) We'd worked out what to do with the one sofa but this gave us a new problem.

Yesterday morning in bed I said, 'What if ... we moved the big leather chair out of your little room upstairs and replaced it with our little sofa from downstairs, and take our big sofa outside to wait to be collected, then we can put both sofas from the apartment into our lounge.'

(Of course, if this tenant decides to move out and a new tenant wants it furnished we are in a bit of a pickle. But we'll worry about that later.)

So, all we had to do then was furniture moving. There's a very old song about moving furniture that includes the lines:

"All right, " said Fred, "Have to take the feet off

To get them feet off wouldn't take a mo."

Took its feet off, even took the seat off

Should have got us somewhere but no!

So that was us. 'What if we take the knobs off?'

But we did it. At one point, trying to get the sofa over the bendy bannister it got a bit dodgy, and I nearly said, 'Stop!' Well, actually I did say stop but I refused to admit defeat, took a deep breath, checked that Husband wasn't having a heart attack, and tried again.

Now we have:

a chair in the hall;

our little sofa in Husband's room;

our big sofa in the courtyard.
Update: the leather chair is now in the front garden as someone is supposed to be coming to buy it soon.

Update update: gone!

And here are the stairs we had to manoeuvre:

I hope you're impressed with our furniture moving skills. And here's the song I mentioned.



7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I AM impressed! Those are narrow stairs!

Cop Car said...

OMG! I've never seen such a chair - and I marvel at your furniture maneuvering skills. How did anyone get that chair up the stairs?

pam nash said...

Being a furniture mover myself, I am very impressed. Specially get the loveseat up the stairs and the big leather chair down! Good job!

Polly said...

Well done. Years ago we bought a three piece suite but couldn't get the sofa through a very awkward hallway. We tried through the back of the house and even contemplated taking the lounge window out! The shop let us change it.

Marie Smith said...

You did well to manage that piece of furniture around those stairs. I imagined one of you caught beneath it. Glad that didn’t happen.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Well done.
With my current lumbago etc we wouldn't have been able to help,
let alone do it ourselves :-(

Don't like the look of your staircase; I'd take steps to avoid it ;-)

PipeTobacco said...

Won’t you miss the davenport when it is gone?

PipeTobacco