Monday, November 16, 2020

How to speak Klingon without trying

Back in the real world this week and what do you know? I'm battling with technology again.

I'm launching my new novel, This Year Maybe, on Wednesday 25th November, so I thought a live Facebook launch would be the way to go as there are so many restrictions on people meeting. (And actually because I'm better in virtual life.)

I looked it up, How to do a live stream on Facebook. Simple everyone said. So I did a couple of test runs. 

In the first one I sound as if I'm speaking Klingon (possibly); in the second I am aware of so many personal flaws that I can't concentrate on what I'm doing. And I'm also not completely sure the first test was actually live live. (As opposed to Welsh live i.e. now in a minute.)

So I need more practice. According to one website I can tell Facebook to show it only to me. Needless to say I can't make that work. 

And I have to work out the best time of day to do it. Big sigh.

Writing is so simple compared to everything else.

P.S. Have you signed up for my occasional newsletter yet? At the moment I'm pumping them out at about one a week but after the launch it will calm down and probably be once a month or so. There is a box on the right-hand-side of the blog that will let you sign up or you can just click here.

6 comments:

Tasker Dunham said...

Yes, writing does seem the easy bit. I tend not to do much of the associated stuff.

Marie Smith said...

I signed up for the newsletter. Good luck with the live streaming.

Liz Hinds said...

Indeed, tasker. A wise choice.

Thanks, Marie.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I was telling My Rare One that experts say a good way to prevent mental deterioration in older adults is to learn a new language. She suggested I learn Klingon. But I said she must learn it too, so I have someone to talk to! You're welcome to join our Klingon-Klatch if you want, LOL!

pam nash said...

English, Welsh and now Klingon - you are a marvel of a person!

Ole Phat Stu said...

These online translators are TERRIBLE :-

cha' tlhInganpu' yoH

'ach DaH nuq DaneH? pa'wIj vISuqmeH jIghoSqa'.

jIHvaD pagh vIHechtaHvIS jIH. ghu'vammo' qaStaHvIS dIS poH, maghomchuqlaHbe' 'e' vInIDchugh, vaj jIVumtaHvIS. 'ej Hu'tegh, pagh, nIteb vIHoHjaj.

ramjepHey vIsovchugh, vaj not 'e' vIpIH. Hoch vaj DaH jItlhutlhmeH jIQong 'e' vIchaw', 'e' vItlhoj.

ngaghHa'chugh neH lurDechmeH tlhInganpu' vIDamo', jIcheghpu'bogh. qo'vamDaq jItamlaHbe' 'e' vIyajlaH. 'ej yInwIj vItlhutlhlaHbe'. 'e' wIHar.

qaStaHvIS ramjep, jISuchnIS. 'ej Hu' vIta'laH 'e' vIHar. Qo'noS Du'meyDaq jIQong 'e' vIqel.

'ej wo'maj jIH 'e' vIHar. bIje'meH targhmey.

nuvpu'choH nuvpu'