Friday, October 23, 2020

What passes for a trip out

Back in February this post led to more comments than most. In it I asked whether I should allow Husband to decorate our hall and landing, or whether we should get someone in to do it. Overwhelmingly the argument came down on Husband's side - that he should be allowed to do it. (Regardless of his heart attack etc.)

Needless to say, soon after that, the weather improved and Husband started gardening. As winter draws on I have dared to suggest that he might begin soon. The gym is closed for the next two weeks for our circuit breaker lockdown so stripping and rubbing down sounds like excellent alternative exercise. 

So today we went to the shop - a rare thrill in itself - and bought some paint samples.

As soon as he's stripped a bit and painted a bit I'll show you. I just hope it won't be like 2007 when Husband began the hall in February and, when it remained unfinished by December, I resorted to this:
Still having been to both the gym and a shop I feel my squirt of Chanel No. 5 was not wasted today.


7 comments:

Cop Car said...

Give yourself a pat on the back for getting the ball rolling on a job that could easily be deferred.

You can't beat Chanel No. 5. Hunky Husband brought me a tiny vial of it when he returned from his two weeks of active duty for training with the Kansas Air National Guard in the early 1960s and it's been my favored scent ever since.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Chanel No. 5 is my favourite perfume too, although I rarely wear perfume any more. My little bottle of it is about 15 years old now and sits on a closet shelf, covered in dust, the colour aged to a deep gold. But it still smells good (I just checked)!

Good luck with the painting.

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

“Stripped a bit”?!? He has to remove paint before repainting?!? If I am interpreting this correctly..... may I ask why?

When I paint a room, I typically only make sure the walls are clean and dry.... and smooth. So, if there are nail holes or other imperfections, I will patch them and add a bit of primer...... then paint.

Stripping.... in my neck of the woods means removing the paint that is currently on the wall. I cannot imagine him needing to do that for that IS arduous.

The other definition of “stripping” I know of involves the removal of clothing from the body.

Your husband is not one of those “nude painters” is he?!? 🙂

PipeTobacco

Marie Smith said...

A reflection of the times: a visit to the paint shop is the high light of our days...I understand this.

Liz Hinds said...

We're all Marilyn Monroes really, aren't we, CopCar and Debra?

The bottom half of our hall is wall-papered, Pipetobacco! And please don't give him ideas about nude painting!

Indeed, Marie, but it will change. One day.

pam nash said...

Hmmm - I always thought paint was something used to cover up something else. Taking off the old paint - why?

Roy Andrews said...

Thank you for being yyou