Wednesday, October 28, 2020

And you think they're not listening?

Yesterday, on the same day that I published a blog post about being deaf, the postman brought me a letter. A real typed on paper letter. It was an invitation from my optician to go for a free hearing test.

What do you have to say to that, all you non-conspiracy-theorists?

Along similar lines I was listening to a woman, a feminist speaker, on the radio complaining that the voice of Alexa - and Hey google, and the rest - is always female, and a compliant female at that. She hasn't met my Alexa.

I have to scream at her sometimes to make her listen to me. And then she controls what I can listen to.

Is it me? The dog training teacher asked me how my dog was supposed to know I was being firm/cross if I used exactly the same tone of voice to praise him as I did to be strict. 

I'm too nice, that's my problem.

6 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

I can half-remember a Monty Python sketch where a customer went to buy a
hearing aid, was served by a deaf salesman (Clees?), and a half.blind other sales man selling contact lenses....

Anybody remember it and can point me to a YouTube video therof???

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Too nice? Release your inner bitch!

Marie Smith said...

Sometimes Alexa needs a stern voice too, like with pets.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

We're supposed to SCREECH at dogs? George would probably move out.

Liz Hinds said...

Don't remember that sketch, Stu. But love the bit in See No Evil where the blind man is watchman and has to shout to warn the deaf man.

I really struggle to do that, Debra. I must practise.

I've tried stern, Marie but she still ignores me.

Not screech, Sonata, but make it clear from your voice that you are not happy!

pam nash said...

Often Seri ignores me and any requests unless I raise my voice and shout. Sometimes we all just have to turn on the "Mom" voice!