Saturday, August 08, 2020

Up the Bwlch ... almost

Last August one of the God's Squad bikers and a leader at Zac's died. We were on holiday so we missed his funeral so this week Sean suggested I might like to join them to go to the cemetery to see the stone. The bikers were doing a memorial ride but I just drove up in Mini and joined them in the valley.

Martin lived in Ton Pentre so I put the address in Sat Nav and let her take me there. Talk about Indian country: I felt as if I'd crossed over the mountain and into a different land - a very beautiful land. There's a dinosaur film - I can't remember the title - where the heroes go through a cave and come out into  - oh wait - The Land That Time Forgot? It was a bit like that.

No-one warned me I'd be driving along the edges of mountains! My grip on the steering wheel was so tight I'd never have been prised off if I'd crashed. But wonderful views - what I could glimpse of them. I didn't want to stop on the way there because I didn't want to risk being late. I came back a different - much straighter - way where the view wasn't quite as sudden and unexpected.
If you've got to be buried there's a nice view from this cemetery.
These are members of the God's Squad Wales chapter at the grave after Sean had spoken a few words of reflection.
As Sean said, one benefit for me of going was I get to hang out with such a handsome group of men.

I also got to drive in the convoy from Martin's house to the cemetery. Yes, I was in Mini but I still felt should wave graciously to all the people who stopped to watch the bikes pass.
They must make them tough in the valleys because the vast majority of people buried there seemed to be in their 80s and 90s. On one recent grave, along with stones and flowers, someone had left a chocolate bar ...
I mean, what a waste of chocolate.

7 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Lol. Only you could make a cemetery visit so entertaining.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Chocolate... and cheese and what looks like a screwdriver? Whoever left all that there didn't seem to wishing their loved one much in the way of eternal rest.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, Marie! Lots of happy memories of Martin too.

Didn't want them to get bored maybe, Sonata?

Anonymous said...

Also a waste of view?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You can't be a biker chick in a Mini!

PipeTobacco said...

By Mini... do you mean you have a Mini Cooper? A very, very coveted auto for aficionados in the US! Beautiful, fun and sporty! If you have one, or would be wonderful to see a photo!

PipeTobacco

Thomas Aldora said...

Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.

https://winnermfg.com/

https://irepairpk.com/

https://dubaipainterservices.com/

https://mediadimensions.net/