Monday, July 13, 2020

Your help needed, please

After an inventive mushroom risotto yesterday we're back to scraping the barrel that is the freezer tonight for dinner. Currently looks as if it could be nut cutlet, fish fingers, and peas.

You'll be pleased to hear I have a Sainsburys order to click and collect tomorrow. You - and Husband - can breathe again. You no longer have to worry whether we're getting our daily requirements. 

I don't know why I kept putting it off. The boredom and ennui that gripped me at the weekend perhaps. Anyway I'm busy today preparing bible study for Zac's tomorrow. I plan to ask the question, 'If God is love why is he so mean?' (I don't know the answer.)

We've already exercised and walked today so nothing to get between me and prep - apart from blogging, FaceBook, Twitter, a few games, any other excuse I can find. I love the preparing for study but hate starting. I'm the same with writing: love it when I'm doing it but reluctant to pick up my pen. I'm sure there's a good psychological reason for that.

* * * * *
One thing that has been dominating my mind for the last few days is the cover design for the sequel to This Time Next Year. I've asked for comments on my writing pages across social media but not getting much response so I'm going to ask you. I hope you don't mind.
Original


I can't remember the font I used originally for the title and can't find it again so I can't use the same one. I tried including handcuffs in the design but a couple of people said it suggested BDSM. I'm also considering A Year of Surprises as the title. 

8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I like This Year...Maybe. It paints an broad landscape for you to take many different ways

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I think "This year . . . maybe" is the better title. Catchier, you know? Plus stylistically more related to the original book. I like the first design the best too, because the colour of the writing paper matches the original book. I think any visual linkages with the original book to which it is a sequel is good. Promotes consistency as a series, right?

I'm disappointed there will apparently be no BDSM in the book though.

Good luck with that topic for Bible study. It's only the central mystery of Judeo-Christianity, so no pressure! The Bible supposedly dealt with it in the Book of Job, although many people find its answer -- "God is almighty and all-powerful so who are you to presume to question him, puny human?" -- to be less than satisfactory.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks both.

Debra, I have just written something to that very effect: '...which is a frustrating and useless answer, in my opinion.' Even though I know there's no better answer to be found. Fortunately my faith allows me to accept ridiculous things! Because of love.

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

I am not familiar with what a “nut cutlet” is.... it has me imagining a vegetarian loaf of lentils and nuts cut into slices or some such thing. Please explain what it is if possible.

I tend to like the first title too, but my opinion is that a new type of paper (like shown in version 2 or perhaps a “post-it” note page might help to show the passage of time more into the sequel. Using the sample paper image as the first, to me, makes it not seem like there is a passage of time.

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

That's pretty much what it is, PipeTobacco. A sort of burger of nuts and stuff.

PipeTobacco said...

Mmmmm. A nut cutlet could be very tasty then!

Anna said...

That first one is my favourite and by far the better title!

Leslie: said...

I agree with everyone so far - colour, text and title! Best of luck!