Friday, February 21, 2020

Postscript to last post

I thought my tribute went as well as I could have hoped. Then I made the mistake of asking Husband what he thought.

'It was okaaay,' he said. 'It was obvious you were very nervous.'

I don't know why I don't learn. Do not ask Husband if I don't want to hear the answer.

And then there was the inevitable greeting and hug and, 'How are you? Lovely to see you again,' from a complete stranger - although obviously not. Normally something in my brain registers a vague memory of a person but this time there was absolutely nothing. And no clues. 

I suspect this will happen more and more as I age.

P.S. Of course what I want Husband to say is, 'You were wonderful,' but he prides himself on telling the truth, as if it's some sort of virtue. 'Dinner wasn't very good tonight.'

9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

People mistake me for someone else all the time. So long as it's not the cops mistaking me for a criminal they're seeking, all is well.

Marie Smith said...

I remember faces but names escape me. It can be so embarrassing.

Liz Hinds said...

In this instance, Debra, the woman was quite specific about what she said. It was definitely me she recognised.

I usually remember faces, Marie, but names are gone as soon as I've been told!

Anonymous said...

Unlike Marie, I remember names but not faces; thus, I often cannot place the name to a face.

At my mother's funeral in 1994, a woman came to me, hugged me, and called me by name. She understood that I probably didn't know who she was, (I hadn't lived in that area since 1942.) She made it easy on me by saying, "I know you are [Cop Car] because you look just like your dad. I am your Aunt XXX." I no longer recall which of my mother's five aunts she was, but think of the incident on occasion.

OTOH: If it's been no longer than 10-15 years since we last met, and if the person keeps speaking long enough, I can usually identify them by voice. Go figure!
Cop Car

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Voices are much easier than faces.

PipeTobacco said...

:) It is easier for us husbands if wives state there question in a fashion that helps us know what is wanted is affirmation. When a question is asked as reading if our opinion is desired, the results are more variable. :)

Us good husbands *do* try to please, but sometimes we misunderstand the question’s nuances. :)

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

In the above, “there” should have been “their” and “us” should have been “we”. My thumbs are all thumbs today.... which also fits my muddy thought process. :)

Anonymous said...

Pipe Tobacco--I think that communications between many of us couples is never to be easy. "Door." That, to my husband is a complete sentence. It is left to me to figure out whether I'm supposed to paint the door, oil the hinges of the door, close the door, go through the door....I've, for years (since 1956) begged him to give me, at least, verbs to go with his nouns. OTOH: Hunky Husband could probably list a few of my failings in the communications arena. *sigh*
Cop Car

pam nash said...

Sadness can be mistaken for nervousness - perhaps he mistook one for the other. And, as long as you don't have to call someone by name, it's easier to say - thank you for your thoughts - and move on.