Friday, February 14, 2020

It snowed! Sort of

Just been visiting a few people who are surrounded by snow, and accept it as part of life. Snow here, on the other hand, is such a rarity that I get excited - and take photos - when we have a little bit of hail!
That little strip was about 3" wide. I noticed it when I was returning from town and couldn't believe it: how had it snowed and I hadn't noticed?!

Turned out to have been a hail storm but I still don't know when it occurred or how I didn't notice. Impressive size on those stones though. 

That's not to say that we never have snow. This was in 2010.
 In the garden.
And even on the beach.
But falls of snow seem to be becoming rarer. 

Oh, and Debra wondered if I were really a superhero. My secret is out.


9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I KNEW IT!!!!

PipeTobacco said...

Wow! Intensive hail. When we occasionally get hail, it seems to happen most in the Summer. I like your WW shirt.

PipeTobacco

Marie Smith said...

There are lots of people in need of a superhero now. Good luck.

Ole Phat Stu said...

You make me wonder, woman, too!

Liz Hinds said...

You caught me out, Debra!

Hail in summer, PipeTobacco? Where exactly do you live?!

I seem to be failing those around me, Marie, so perhaps i should try further afield.

Husband said something similar, Stu.

Anonymous said...

Puzzling that you could have missed the hail, Liz.

Like Pipe T, we receive hail in Spring/Summer. In early May of 1992, we received such a hail storm that it left many cars with a pox of deep dents for the next 10 years. (Yes, many people had the dents fixed or traded in those cars.) Hunky Husband was on a two-year assignment in Philadelphia and missed the whole thing. When I arrived home from work, it was by driving through 6-10 inches of green hail. The hail had shredded the leaves off trees and other plants. Two large maple trees in the back yard of that house were severely damaged, but were salvageable. The large maple tree in the front yard was beyond salvage - much of it splayed across our driveway. The couple who lived across the street came over to help me drag the branches away so that I could get my car out of the street, into the garage. At the time, my car was less than a month old; but, as luck would have it, I had worked on the east side of Wichita that day. All of the cars parked on the west side of town took a beating. I replaced one strip of weather stripping on the driver's side window.
Cop Car

PipeTobacco said...

I’m in the Northern US, and with odd weather inversions that happen, we can sometimes get hail on a warm Summer day..... 75+ degrees. Melts quickly.

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

Good grief, that is some serious hail, CopCar!

pam nash said...

We almost never have snow here in south central Texas. And, when we do - everyone goes outside to play in it! Nice to know where Wonder Woman is just in case of emergency!