Tuesday, November 12, 2019

What a (birth)day!

With weather looking doubtful I decided against going too far, and with a strong and cold onshore wind, a walk on the beach wasn't really tempting. So we went ten pin bowling. 

It was the first time for years and first surprise was that special shoes weren't compulsory. Husband, however, being a bit of a pro, insisted on them. He has cups for bowling, mostly from his misspent youth, but like riding a bicycle you never forget how to bowl.

The lady at the counter persuaded us to book for three games on the logic that after two the score might be one all. Once I stopped laughing at that idea I said, 'Go on then.' (It was really cheap, just £7 for the two of us to play three games!)

First game went as expected.
Second game, I started listening to Husband's advice and - you're not going to believe this because I still don't - I won! And Husband promised me he hadn't let me win. 
It was close but I won! Excuse all the exclamation marks but I'm still in shock.

And here I am in action. You see? We didn't even have the rails up at the sides.
Third game I had passed my peak and I was soundly beaten again. But after that I had to celebrate with ice cream. We tried a new (to us) ice cream parlour in the Marina. Homemade Italian ice cream. It was fine but a bit grainy for my taste.

Husband enjoyed his rather fancy black forest cake too.


5 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

Again, happy birthday! Both desserts look very tasty!

Have you ever seen what is called Candlepin Bowling? I have played it twice. In the US it seems to be more common than 10 Pin Bowling in areas of New England. Besides the thinner bowling pins, the bowling ball is much smaller and does not have any finger holes.

It was more difficult (at least for me) than 10
Pin.

PipeTobacco

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Congrats on the bowling victories! I say that in all sincerity because I am the world's worst bowler. I haven't played 10 pin in years because the balls are too big and heavy for me. When we play, we usually play 5 pin, which has smaller balls without holes.

Marie Smith said...

We love bowling too for a bit of fun. The ice cream is a tasty treat too. A great day by the sound of it.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

That sounds like an excellent birthday and may you have many more!

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks all.

Pipetobacco, I've never heard of Candlepin bowling. We have skittle alleys occasionally in pubs. I think they have 9 pins and a small ball but I haven't played that for even longer.

I was careful to choose a ball that wasn't too heavy for me, Debra. That said by the last game I had to go down in weight because my arm was tired.

I really enjoyed the bowling, Marie, and we may do it more often.

I hope so, Sonata.