Friday, October 11, 2019

Take the girl out of Wales

I just said to Husband, 'I'll do it now,' adding to myself, 'in a minute.'

It's a well-known Welsh thing, this now in a minute, but do others say it? Or mean in a minute when they say now?

When I went out to work in my early twenties I was teased because I added, 'is it?' onto everything I said. For example, 'I'll go and copy these documents, is it?'

I was working with very Welsh men, from the valleys, so maybe that's not a particularly Welsh thing. It was probably just my insecurity wanting reassurance that I was doing the right thing all the time.


7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sort of like Canadians saying "eh?" at the end of sentences. I notice that young Canadians now say "hey" instead of "eh" -- like they're fooling anyone, eh?

Ole Phat Stu said...

Debby, I thought Canadians said "sorry" as a form of punctuation ;-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Ole Phat Stu -- Yeah, we do that too!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

If I've been sitting still for a while, getting to my feet and doing something does actually take a minute these days….

Liz Hinds said...

I suppose we all have our own little peculiarities of speech.

That's also true, Sonata!

nick said...

I've never heard that expression before. But "I'll be with you in a second" invariably means a wait of at least five minutes.

The British obsession with saying "sorry", even if they haven't done anything wrong, deserves an entire post of its own.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, I agree, Nick. Some seconds last longer than others. As for sorry. I apologise if someone else bumps into me.