Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Tainted by association

At the end of bible study last night Steve, who was leading, read a prayer from the study guide that we're using. When he finished Monty and I looked at each other and said, 'Margaret Thatcher!'

When she first became prime minister she quoted part of a prayer attributed to St Francis of Assisi. I shudder even now at the memory.

It's a lovely prayer but forever tainted by association.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.




3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm surprised Thatcher didn't burst into a giant ball of flame as she spoke those words.

Liz Hinds said...

Absolutely. It was the 'I am the saviour of my people' tone of voice as well. Brrrr.

Lisa said...

I love the prayer. I don't know enough about Margaret Thatcher to know that she read the prayer. So, I will still appreciate the prayer.