Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Holiday reading

I managed to get through quite a number of books on holiday. It's amazing what time the absence of television and the internet creates.

Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
I somehow manged to miss this in the original flurry of fame but had added it to my want-to-read list. It was certainly gripping. At least the first half was. Original and interesting but I was less enthusiastic about the latter half. I definitely felt cheated by the ending.
***

Old Baggage
by Lissa Evans
I read about this on someone else's blog and ordered it from the library. I wasn't convinced enough to buy it outright! But it was great. Feisty characters and a great period setting - ex-suffragettes in the 1920s. In my head I could hear the lead character being voiced by Miriam Margolyes. She would be perfect for the part - and if you're familiar with Ms Margolyes that may give you an idea of Mattie's qualities.
****

The Killer in the Choir
by Simon Brett
The latest in the Fethering mysteries featuring two friends, Carol and Jude, who like to investigate any murders that happen nearby - and there are plenty of them! 
I love Simon Brett's work - he has written a number of comedy series for television - and these books are easy to read and aren't in the least gory. My only complaint is that Carol is always uptight and prim, and Jude is always relaxed and empathetic. I know that reflects their characters but Carol has so few redeeming points while Jude is so perfect.
**** or *** (I am trying to be more generous in my starring and as I always look out for new books in the series I suppose it has to be 4*.)

The Woman who Wanted More
by Vicky Zimmerman
Kate is about to move in with Nick but just about everyone thinks she's making a mistake. Most out-spoken is Cecily, a ninety-seven-year-old in a care home. Cecily lends Kate a cookbook designed to cater for every occasion. Through the book and Cecily's friendship - such that it is - Kate comes to the point of having to decide.
****

The Red Notebook
by Antoine Laurain
I saved the best until the last. A bookseller, a gilder, a lost notebook and a cat. What more could you want? Ah, yes, a Parisian background.
*****



2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I saw the movie "Gone Girl" and liked it well enough, all things considered.

Terra said...

That last book sounds like fun.