Thursday, June 13, 2019

In which Husband is less than helpful

Funny sort of day today. Thought I was going to have to go and do something and was hanging around waiting for it to be confirmed and it never was. So I obviously couldn't get stuck into any cleaning but did manage to do some writing. Still feeling edgy/antsy - whatever that is it seems to describe how I feel.

Not cheered by news at lunchtime that Boris Johnson looks like a dead cert for next leader of the Conservatives and thus our prime minister. Not that any of the rest are any better. Although I did hear Rory Stewart, who just scraped through into the next round, talking what sounds like sense. Such a surprise. If you ignore the fact he has been compared to an elf - perhaps only by me - he is the only plausible contender in my view. The others are just too yuck for words.

I did see this on Facebook - or words to this effect:
In Britain trump means to break wind;
in America johnson means penis;
thus we have fartwilly. 

Maybe we could arrange for the two of them to meet on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic and then for the captain to get lost for a few years.

Going back to the thing I didn't do today. It is something I don't want to have to do or feel in any way capable of doing or qualified to do, so you'd think I'd be glad it didn't happen. But it will happen. If not today then tomorrow or next week. Big sighs. Don't mean to be mysterious but it involves others and is confidential and I just want you all to feel sorry for me. (Is it working?)

In other news, Husband had fun today playing with his new toy: a hedge-trimmer. And the first thing he cut? My washing line.

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, at least you know the hedge-trimmer is nice and sharp.

Anonymous said...

Debra is right on. My hedge trimmers would stall at a clothesline!
Cop Car

nick said...

I agree with you about Rory Stewart. He seems to be the only down-to-earth realist among the candidates. The others just make it up as they go along. The EU has already condemned Boris Johnson's Brexit plans as pie-in-the-sky.

I once cut through the cable of my hedge-trimmer and the only place that could provide a new cable was the other side of Belfast. And why are hedge-trimmers so heavy? Ten minutes and my arm muscles are starting to ache....

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

I apologize if this is something you have likely already explained and I missed it.... I have mostly been trying to shelter myself from much of the political noise since Donald Trump was unfortunately elected....

But, if I may ask... what is your opinion on Brexit? With what I know (here in the US), it seems TO ME that Brexit would be horrible and horrific for most in your nation. But, I am perhaps not really understanding.

PipeTobacco

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Everyone here, from the man in the post office to the pharmacist, is fascinated and they all ask "Is Boris Johnson really going to win? Wasn't he in a comedy show?"


Liz Hinds said...

You're right there, Debra and Copcar!

I haven't tried this hedge trimmer yet, Nick, but I know a strimmer is surprisingly heavy.

PipeTobacco, I am totally opposed to Brexit in any form. I want to remain in Europe and in my opinion - and the opinion of many wise people - leaving will be a disaster.

If only Boris had been content as presenter of HIGNFY the world would be a better place, Sonata.

Melissa hogan said...

My husband left me last year after 25 years of marriage (he turned 50). It has been the most difficult year of my life, but full of lessons about myself and what life and marriage are all about. I am passionate about marriage and i didn't give up on my husband. resides in USA, I entered online in search of advice on how i can amend my marriage while i was at work. I saw so many positive reviews and nice feed back about how a Doctor called Robinson.buckler@ yahoo. com has been wonderful with his work. I gave a shot to make contact with him via his Email and he assured me that my marriage will be peaceful and i believed in his words. 16 hours after he finished work, my husband came back home pleading and now, we are living peacefully again. Get in contact with him if you need any help.