Saturday, May 25, 2019

Two very different book reviews

why mummy swears
Why Mummy Swears
by Gill Sims

I'd read the author's previous book, Why Mummy Drinks, so when I saw this, probably on special offer, before Christmas I decided to buy it for Daughter. Someone else had the same idea so I got my copy back. Finally got around to reading it this week.

A very easy read, in the same style as the first. I believe the books came out of a popular parenting blog. Both books give a very accurate portrayal of life as a parent of young children. Be warned: there is a LOT of swearing. And you are left at the end wondering if she actually likes her children very much at all. I know we can all get driven mad by our babies but they only have to smile and all is forgotten and forgiven. 

In this sequel Ellen, the narrator, gets involved with the PTA, as well as returning to work full-time. How she manages to deal with it all - or not - is the basis for this book. Other than that it doesn't really have a plot as such.

But, as I said, it's an easy read, funny in places and annoying in others.
***

Becoming
by Michelle Obama
I had to wait for months for my turn at the library to get my hands on this. By the time I got it I had lost my enthusiasm and I was wondering if I could be bothered to read it after all. I am so glad I did.

The story of a girl from the wrong side of Chicago and her struggle to succeed, first in school, then college and then work. And finally marriage and First Ladyship. It does get a little bit repetitive in places: I felt like saying, yes, we know it was difficult and against the odds and you had to struggle; you don't have to keep reminding us.

But overall it is such an encouraging story. And it's fascinating to read what goes on behind the scenes in American political life. She doesn't hold back with her comments on President Obama's successor either. (Or probably she does a bit.)

And I would love to meet her mother.
****

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've heard nothing but good things about "Becoming" -- glad you enjoyed it!