Friday, April 19, 2019

Waiting for the call

Yesterday evening
The phone rings. Husband gets up to answer it.

I can tell from his reaction that it's not a cold caller or a family member. We've been expecting a call from the vet to give us the results of the biopsy on the lump on George's leg so I guess this is the call.

Husband's face gets serious. It's a one-sided conversation with his side being, 'Okay ... yes ... no ... I see.' He sits down.

My eyes fill with tears. I bend over and cuddle George who is lying next to the sofa. In my head he is dead and buried.

At last the conversation ends and finally Husband says, 'Well, it's only a fatty lump on his leg, nothing to worry about, and he can wait for a while before he has his tooth out.'

I scowl at him. He looks puzzled. 'I thought you'd be glad,' he says.
'I'd have been gladder if I hadn't already envisaged the worst. You could have smiled or signalled to me or something.'

But at least George doesn't need an operation yet. If his broken tooth causes him trouble, or it gets infected, it will need to come out but, apparently, they will have to dig out a bit of bone too so it's quite major and not to be undergone lightly.

So George lives to fight - or meander - through another day.
older golden retriever

8 comments:

nick said...

Yes, I think I would have been a bit alarmed by husband's responses as well. Glad to know it was nothing serious.

lyndagrace said...

Yay for George! Phone calls like that one can be so scary!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good news! Sounds like your husband has a real poker face though.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Glad to hear it!

Go, George!

Anonymous said...

thank God! XOXO
can you tell I love George? you could have him in every post and I would love it! :D

CheerfulMonk said...

What a sweet pup! I'm so glad about the lump, and fingers crossed about the tooth.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks all! George woofs thank you too!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

He's got to help you bring up all those grandchildren first. Every child needs a George in their life.