Friday, April 26, 2019

Stroking skunks

I spent two hours in a police interview room on Tuesday. Yes, I know how to have fun. It wasn't very exciting. So far from exciting in fact that the thing I remember most is that, in a room about 10' by 10' there were twelve sockets. What on earth would you need that many for? Electrocution by charger?

I was there because a friend who is normally in regular contact had gone silent, and we hadn't been able to get an answer at her door. Thanks to the very helpful police constable I found out she is now in hospital and being taken care of. Which is a lot better than I was imagining.

On Wednesday it was back to family fun. Last year when Leslie, a blogging friend from Canada, came to stay we visited the National Botanic Garden of Wales, and we were fortunate to be there for a show by DWAEC and we had the opportunity to see at close range lots of animals.

This year, when I saw the show was back again, I dragged Daughter, Nuora and the grands there. And it was just as good as I remembered. Got to stroke a skunk and a meerkat, feed a hawk and get up close and personal with a Mexican red-kneed tarantula. Lots of other wonderful creatures that the grandchildren were able to hold and stroke as well.


The same evening we were watching television when I noticed a spider running across the carpet. Had I conquered my fear of spiders? Did I rush to pick him up and save him - George was looking at him hungrily? No. I lifted my feet up and made sure he wasn't coming in my direction.

I think maybe I was less scared of the tarantula because he wasn't running around. And, I have to admit, each time the presenter brought his hand a bit closer to my face my smile got a little bit more trembly.

The presenter took my photo and put it on their Facebook page because, he said, 'You don't often get grannies on the floor.'

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's a great photo of you with the (*shudder*) tarantula!

Anonymous said...

I, too, like the photo. Any critter that large should be on a leash!
Cop Car

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks both. Yes, the closer it got the greater the temptation to move back!

AJ Blythe said...

I like spiders. I only kill the really poisonous ones in our house (much to the families dismay).

Visiting from A-Z
AJ Blythe

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I always tell myself firmly that the spider's just as entitled to be there as me, is harmless and kindly keeps flies under control... but I still steer clear whenever I see one.