Monday, November 26, 2018

In which I realise I am becoming an old woman

I have to admit it: I am becoming a stereotypical old woman. Not in the grumpy sense - unless Sainsburys has changed its shelf lay-outs or packaging - but in the befuddled and bemused way.

Because of said befuddlement I found myself in Swansea centre yesterday with an hour to waste. I decided to spend it productively and bought some presents. Then I began looking at nighties. I've been trying to find a nightie I like for months; yesterday I saw one. I pounced on it - and discovered it had a BUILT-IN BRA! (Yes, using capitals is the only way to truly describe my horror.)

For goodness sake, going to bed means letting it all flop. If I appeared in the bedroom with pert breasts Husband would think he was in the wrong house.

Still reeling from that discovery - I didn't buy it needless to say - I headed across to town and down through a bit I'd not walked in for a while. And it had CHANGED! I was totally disorientated. I had to stop and look around for a few moments.

I wasn't helped by this map on the floor.
According to this I was surrounded by docks but there wasn't a dock in sight.

I could see Plantasia (Swansea's giant greenhouse thing) to the right so I wandered around to the opposite end, where the entrance was supposed to be so I could call into their shop of all things natural and wild-lifey. Not there! Having circumnavigated Plantasia I realised the entrance was more or less where I'd started off. Okay, deep breath, stop muttering under it, and go in.

'I wanted to go to the shop,' I said to the girl on the desk. 
'This is it,' she said, indicating two shelves of bright pink and yellow creatures that have never been seen in the wild.
'Oh,' I said, 'I've very disorientated. I don't know where I am.'
The girl looked at me as if I were crazy.

Later telling Younger Son about this he said, 'Was that all you said? Or did you explain you'd not been there for a while? Because it did change quite a long time ago.'
Still she could have been more sympathetic.


6 comments:

wherethejourneytakesme said...

I often find things change overnight sometimes - it is a fast moving world we will be meeting ourselves coming back soon!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A nightie with a built-in bra? What kind of torture device is that?

Liz Hinds said...

i FREQUENTLY DO ALREADY, WHEREETC. (whoops, forgot I'd put on caps lock.)

My thoughts precisely, Debra.

Jacqui said...

The nightie reminds me of the old Hollywood films, where the glamorous leading ladies go to bed and wake up with full make-up, perfectly applied!

Jacqui said...

The nightie reminds me of the old Hollywood films, where the glamorous leading ladies go to bed and wake up with full make-up, perfectly applied!
Sometimes I hear myself sounding older than I feel, often in a shop when I'm struggling to see what change I have in my purse because I now have three types of glasses; and I think, stop, stop, you're sounding old; just sound different! But I can't. :)

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, sometimes, Jacqui, I sound old but I still feel young! And those films! And presumably they've enjoyed a night of rollicking sex as well.