Monday, November 19, 2018

How to double your money and get things for free

'You can get double value on your points at Sainsburys,' Husband said yesterday morning just as I was about to go shopping.
I looked at him blankly.
'You can convert some of your reward points to vouchers for twice the value.'
I still wasn't absolutely sure what he meant or that he'd got it right - it seemed very generous - but I said I'd check when I got there.

Sure enough he was right. Only two catches: the vouchers were only valid for certain goods; and it ended at 4.00 pm that day.

I swapped £50 of reward points (loyalty points that I'd been collecting for years) for £100 of vouchers. Then my problem started.

I had to spend all £100: they didn't give change or refund points. I must have spent a good (or bad) two hours wandering around the clothes, Christmas decorations, gifts (but not edible), books, toys, housewares before concluding this was going to be difficult. 

In the end I had to buy myself two jumpers to take the value up. It was tough but someone had to bear the brunt. (I'm lying: the two jumpers were the first things I put in my trolley.)

But as I explained to Husband when I came home it meant I got £100 of stuff 'for free!'
'Not for free,' he said. 'For £50,' he said.
'No, because that wasn't real money.'

Wish I'd known about the offer earlier then I could actually have bought something that someone might want. Teach me not to read giant signs all over the shop.

2 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

The most annoying point is that you have to spend "all" of it in one go . Right now I wouldn't have a problem doing that . Need things for the house Oh OK and a couple of jumpers hahaha but you still had to spend to get the first points !!

Anonymous said...

I try to discipline myself not to spend money to "save" money. Ideally, I should have let them keep the extra points rather than spend more. However, if the jumper was really handsome....
Cop Car
P.S. While I'm thinking of it I'll let you know how much I appreciate that your reCAPTCHA is so much easier with which to cope than some others out there. I have given up trying to post on a couple of Blogger-hosted blogs that routinely take 5-10 tries to get through reCAPTCHA (and, sometimes, not even 10 tries gets me through - grrrr!) I don't know if that is because of a setting that you have made, but I appreciate whatever the cause.