Saturday, September 29, 2018

An early morning swim

Up bright and early this morning to see the start of the Mumbles Triathlon. Why, you may well ask. Because Younger Son and Son-in-law were entering, first-timers both.
A thumbs up before the race that began in an air temperature of about 4 degrees. It was a beautiful morning though.

The triathlon - at least the option they had chosen - consisted of a 750m swim, then a 32km cycle and finishing with, as Younger Son described it, a muscle cramping 5km run. They were amongst 500 other entrants so the swimming was like 'being in a washing-machine with lots of clothes flapping about,' Son-in-law said.
Once they'd set off Husband and I went home via the doctor's surgery where we joined a snaking queue of old people waiting for our flu jabs. Very much like a conveyor belt and the people in the queue had a very British attitude. All bar two men who thought that if they had been given an appointment for 9.00 they should be seen at 9.00. 

Apparently the 65s and over have a different vaccine this year so they were being very careful to make sure everyone was in the right age bracket. When it was my turn the vaccinator asked me again, 'Are you over 65?'
When I said yes I like to think that she gave me a, 'You don't look it,' look.

Anyway my arm aches now.

Back later to Southend for the finish. We missed Son-in-law's triumphant return but we were in time to greet Younger Son.
As he's been under the weather for a week or so and he was dreading doing this he was pleased with his time of 2 hours and 7 minutes. 

As I would probably still be on the swim stage - if I hadn't had to be rescued - I am in awe of them for completing their first triathlon.




3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Congrats to your triathletes, especially in such chilly weather!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I must have the shingles vaccination as well this year. Not looking forward to any of it because my arm always puffs up, too.

Anonymous said...

good grief!!! what GORGEOUS young men!
put them in period clothing and they could be warriors!
my arm did that once when I got a tetanus shot. apparently I needed it!
I've never gotten a flu shot. maybe this should be the year for it. not sure.
it dawns on me that your blog is as good as any novel! LOL!!!