Tuesday, July 17, 2018

holiday reading

The Scandal
by Fredrik Backman
I think I've already mentioned this book by the author of the My grandmother sends her regards and apologises. It's about a tiny town whose entire continued existence seems to depend on the result of an ice hockey game. And then something terrible happens and the town is split. 

It's a wonderful story even if, like me, you know absolutely nothing about ice hockey. *****
(You might find it under the title of Bear Town.) (It's not a crime or mystery novel by the way.)


Escape from Sunset Grove
by Minna Lindgren
Described on the cover as the Finnish Miss Marple, this is the story of some elderly people who have to move out of their residential home during renovations. There is suspicion of dirty dealings but no real case or investigation or any other than a pleasant telling of everyday life for elderly women. 
It's quite enjoyable and easy to read and the characters are nice but it's nothing more than that.
** or *** (I must redefine my star rating I think.)


Where there's a will
by Matt Beaumont
I started reading this and nearly gave up but I persevered and it was okay in the end. The hero is a too-good-to-be-true character whose life falls apart when he tries to help others. The resolution is very unrealistic but you're glad for him because you want someone good to be rewarded - for a change these days.
A very easy read.
**




The Miniaturist
by Jessie Burton
I'm a bit late coming to this best-seller about a young woman married to an older merchant in Amsterdam. He gives her a cabinet-sized replica of their home and when she starts to order pieces for it from a miniaturist it appears that they foretell what will happen in the life of their household.
it's never really explained but it's well-written and an excellent story.
****




The Little Teashop of Lost and Found
by Tricia Ashley
I read this in one day on the return ferry journey. Easy to read, likeable characters and a happy ending. Predictable but it passes the time.
***







Also began but didn't continue with No wonder I take a drink by Laura Marney and The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas.

3 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Loved The Miniaturist.
But I have to say that the title of Laura Marney's book strikes a chord today… perhaps I should look in the library.

Anonymous said...

my reading is weird. I never know what will hook me.
in the heat and the 'political news' of this summer I think light and fluffy does it.
and I see a couple in your list that fits that bill.
I have to say again here...
your very own book was so excellent! it gave me total escape and hilarity.
I may just have to revisit it!

Liz Hinds said...

Laura Marney's book was okay I just didn't like her style of writing, sonata.

I agree, tammy, that light and fluffy does the trick in summer. And thank you again for your kind comments.