Friday, May 04, 2018

Goths and Goldfish

So Goldfish died. I felt strangely sad. I say strangely because he wasn't much of a companion if I'm honest. But he was there and he demanded feeding and the grandchildren fought over who could feed him. And we had him for a long time.

I emptied the tank and asked Husband to take it out to the shed. So it sat on the work surface in the kitchen until I decided to put it on Freecycle. 

The first woman who contacted me seemed keen but didn't turn up or message me. The second person to ask about it was a young man and he came and fetched it. When I said it would need disinfecting he said, 'That's okay. It's for an installation. I'm going to fill it with water and drop fruit in.'

I was tempted to take it back from him and say, 'No! It's meant to be a home for a family pet. You're meant to look after it.' But I didn't you'll be pleased to hear.

We now have a large corner space in the kitchen. GrandDaughter2, who was three yesterday, came here on Wednesday and asked about the fish. I said he'd gone to live in the sea. Not strictly a lie as Husband put him down the toilet. I may have to be more honest with the older ones. 

Speaking of aquatic animals we have fish for dinner. At least now I can cook it without looking guiltily at Goldfish.

* * * * * * * *
Goth Latte
Midway through writing my article for the next issue of The Bay I got distracted while looking up the history of the phrase, 'God knows.' (As I mentioned in my last post procrastination is a writer's addiction.)

Apparently there is a new trend for coffee known as Goth Latte. It has added charcoal that not only colours the drink but is good for your gut.

P.S. Having just googled I've discovered that this new trend is, in fact, so last year.

2 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

'An installation'... doesn't that always so cool!
Though I'm not sure that a goldfish tank with two slices of kiwi fruit and an apple core will quite live up to expectations.

Liz Hinds said...

But what would buyers do with an installation'? I suppose a fish tank is manageable but an unmade bed? Actually I've got one of those upstairs. Fascinating and amusing drama on Radio 4 this week about YBA (I learned means Young British Artists) and the burning of a warehouse containing lots of their installations. I must have missed that on the news.