Saturday, January 20, 2018

The finest comedy in recent memory?

Toni Erdmann
You may remember that Husband gave me some dvds for Christmas. One of them was a German comedy called Toni Erdmann and we watched it this week.

It was ... unusual. I'm not sure how much of a sense of humour Germans have; they're generally not regarded as great gigglers I think. And that maybe is why I didn't find the film 'outrageous'ly funny as it says on the box.

It's about a woman who's a consultant for an oil company in Bucharest. She is very focused on work and her father who is a shambling sort of person with a tendency to play practical jokes worries about her when he goes to visit. In his attempts to help her lighten up and to re-establish his relationship with her he pretends to be someone else i.e. not her father, when they are in company. 

And that's it really. You don't really feel at the end that he has achieved much - although their relationship is improved. There is a completely random and weird sex scene and I was going to say there didn't seem to be much point in having it but I suppose it emphasises her lack of interest in anything except work. Also I say it's weird but bear in mind I have very limited knowledge of what is really weird.

It was moderately enjoyable but don't expect to laugh much. 'Finest comedy in recent memory'? I don't think so.

No comments: