Sunday, October 08, 2017

To stick or not to stick?

tefal non-stick pan
That is the question I should have asked before going shopping.

I have only very recently embraced non-stick pans.

Yes, I know, a bit behind the times, but I do like a pan you can scrub with a bit of wire wool. But having somehow acquired two non-stick frying pans (old - possibly from children student years and uncovered in the attic clear-out?) I can see the benefits of having an unbroken fried egg. Or rather, being able to avoid the stress of worrying about whether I can get the egg out of the pan without breaking it.

When I was in the outlet centre the other day I browsed kitchen shops and had definite pan envy. But the choice! How was I to decide between the stainless steel, ceramic and cast iron? And as the prices ranged from £40 - £ever-such-a-lot, I decided to come home and investigate before buying.

So I came home and promptly forgot about it. 

Until I was in Sainsburys yesterday when I went mad and just bought one. As I am notoriously bad at looking after my equipment I went for a £16 Tefal one.

And now, having this minute googled non-stick I find the advice is either buy a cheap one (good) or preferably don't bother as the Tefal coating contains something nasty that has been shown to cause cancer (bad).

I think that's only if it flakes off so perhaps I'll keep this pan for eggs and pancake and omelettes. And I was thought I was doing so well ...

3 comments:

Sharon said...

We seem to have acquired quite a collection. I throw them away when they get nasty and he just buys more. I did buy one of those non-slip copper ones. I think I like that about the best. He has managed to scorch the two ceramic pans and they've lost their charm. My daughter 'borrowed' my cast iron pans years ago and later forgot where she got them and sold them at a yard sale. She didn't know how to care for them. Most of my pans are some kind of teflon with varying slickness. I do have one 8" teflon that works the best for eggs and small pancakes. I keep it way back in the cabinet to keep it away from fingers with forks.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I have a non-stick wok which I treat better than my grandchildren , an ancient Spanish tortilla pan which has a patina on that has taken nearly fifty years to achieve and an amazing steel pan with no real handle .
I tend not to fry a lot .

Liz Hinds said...

I use a big frying pan (non-stick) for bolognese and chilli etc but the handle has been threatening to fall off for a number of years. I fear it will happen just as I am transporting it from cooker to work surface so I think I may just invest in a good pan.

My wok is a good scrubber, sonata.