Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Re talking to one's self

Sheila Hancock, on Just a Minute last night, reminded me that we all have an internal monologue running most if not all of the time. In other words we're talking to ourselves inside our heads. And sometimes it spills out.

I was walking George yesterday and during a discussion with him - about the lorry that had parked in our way - remembered my call to arms about speaking out loudly and proudly. I fear I still used him as an excuse but did practise when no-one was looking. 

P.S. Maybe stream of consciousness is a better description in my case. But James Joyce made his name with Ulysses so not to be scoffed at. 

6 comments:

Sharon said...

My internal monologue was putting me to sleep the other day. I thought, "Huh!" and it came out out loud and scared me to a full awake state.
(Not sure you can understand what I'm saying)

Liz Hinds said...

Oh I understand!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Oh yes! Our mind is always occupied with this or that or the other thing! "Monkey Mind" is another term for it.

People devote much effort, to learning how to meditate. Which is supposed to allow one, to escape, from this running tape-in-our-head.

I have neither learned, nor spent much time, doing this.

Soooo, obviously.... My "Monkey Mind" is alive and thriving. -sigh-

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Liz , you talk to George a lot , maybe all dog owners do that , I don't have a dog or a pet anymore but I do think Dog owners speak aloud more than cat owners, , You are certainly blogging a lot lately , keep it up. xx

Liz Hinds said...

Mindfulness is the latest thing, Luna - maybe I'll blog about that!

Thanks, Anne.

Nick said...

Unfortunately my internal monologue goes round in circles most of the time - returning to the same old worries and obsessions over and over. If I'm lucky the circular thoughts will stop and some original thoughts may pop out.