Sunday, August 27, 2017

Possibly Ignatius and possibly Xavier

It was a strange sort of funeral. (I wore my little black dress since you asked.) Sean from Zac's was leading it and if it hadn't been for his words it would have been totally impersonal. Most unusual.

Also unusual but brilliant was the Korean blessing as the coffin was taken out. They sang amazingly and, although few of us had any idea what they were saying, it was the thing that moved people the most.

* * * * * * * *

There was an item on the news yesterday about a move to encourage schools to run lessons in mental health care. An MP who was supporting it spoke about her experience. She said she could tell herself how much she'd achieved and the good she'd done but still her head would tell her she was rubbish. I hadn't really thought of that as something that could be helped or even as a symptom of poor mental health.

I spend most of my time I hating myself. I assumed that was normal. Husband tells me it's not. He blames my early childhood - no father stuff. I'm not convinced that  is responsible for this particular peculiarity but he replied with the saying his father was fond of quoting, 'Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man.*'

*Commonly attributed to Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit movement, although one source laid the blame at Aristotle's door. And yet another claims it was Francis Xavier, founder of the Jesuits - wait a minute, I thought that was Ignatius. Hey ho, maybe it was a joint founding. Somebody said it anyway. 


No comments: