Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Feeling fabulous for a funeral

I have to ask, 'Why do I bother?'

Yesterday I'd been invited out for lunch by Lily, from our women's bible study group. Before I went I made a cake for the birthday of one of our regular Zaccers. We had a lovely lunch then I came home and iced the cake nicely.

After bible study yesterday evening we lit candles and presented the cake to the birthday boy. He walked up, looked at it, said, 'oh,' and walked away again. He didn't even blow out his candles until I called him back to do so.

I didn't expect him to fall on my neck in gratitude but a 'thank you' with a smile would have been nice. Or even just a smile.

Mutter, mutter. To be fair though he was an exception. Most people are very happy with my cakes. 

* * * * * * * *

Feeling fabulous in a ball gown
On Friday I am going to the funeral of the wife of Rowland, Zac's 'tribal elder'. I didn't know her but know and want to support Rowland his daughter. We've been asked to wear 'something you feel fabulous in'.

I don't feel fabulous in anything. Except maybe a ball gown and that might not be appropriate. 

I feel quite good in my little black dress - but if I wear that it will look as if I'm dressing for a funeral not in something I feel fabulous in. Even if I almost do. Oh, the dilemma.

* * * * * * * *

For a few weeks I've been unable to locate my bible. I've had to use my old one or the internet. 

Last night I found it. In the airing cupboard. 

There is a sensible explanation: I'd spilled water on it and put it there to dry out. And forgotten about it, as is my wont. And that gives me an idea for my next article for The Bay magazine.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Sorry about the rebuff on the cake ...
Something fabulous - for a funeral? Um, if you feel somewhat good in the little black dress, go for it. If you are supposed to party it up, add a smart scarf and some loud jewelry.
Oh, dear, I've lost my little Bible too, it was my grandmother's, printed in 1904, and she marked each verse when she read them. I put it in a 'safe' place, just no idea anymore, just where that is. Good that you found yours.

Liz Hinds said...

I have so many 'safe' places I can never find anything, Sharon. That's a good idea about the bright scarf. I might do that.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

I doooo hope you will feel fabulous in your little black dress.

It has been so long, since I have felt fab, in any of my clothes.

So be so very happy, that you still have the figure, to do so.

:-)))))